READ OUR 2021 BOOK
WHO'S IN OUR 2021 BOOK
Healthy NewsWorks student journalists interviewed nearly 20 health and community leaders about the pandemic’s challenges for Leading Healthy Change In Our Communities 2021: Doing the Undoable in a Pandemic.
Answering the call
- Lorraine Brown, B.S.N., R.N., emergency department nurse, Einstein Healthcare Network
- Pierre Chanoine, M.D., pediatrician; volunteer with Black Doctors COVID Consortium
- Bhavna Sharma, M.D., critical-care specialist, Einstein Healthcare Network
Serving behind the scenes
- Diane Amati, quality control/quality assurance lead technologist for infectious disease, Quest Diagnostics Horsham Laboratory
- Erika Keith, customer service representative, Brown Family ShopRite in East Norriton
- Sherri McClintock, hematology supervisor, Quest Diagnostics Horsham Laboratory
- Jane Reedy, clinical operations manager, Quest Diagnostics Horsham Laboratory
- Michael Solomonov, chef, Zahav Restaurant
- Patrick Walsh, director of programs, Martha’s Choice Marketplace
Spreading the message
- Perla Lara, editor in chief, Impacto
- Paul Offit, M.D., director of Vaccine Education Center, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Helping others cope
- Kevin R. Carter, M.S.W., clinical director, Uplift Center for Grieving Children
- Howard Stevenson, Ph.D., Constance Clayton Professor of Urban Education, University of Pennsylvania
- Rev. Dr. Alyn E. Waller, senior pastor, Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church
Feeding the soul
- Cydney Brown, Philadelphia Youth Poet Laureate
- Lesa Cline-Ransome, award-winning children’s book author
- Kerri Ryan, assistant principal violist, Philadelphia Orchestra
Staying in shape
- Duriel Hardy, M.D., pediatric neurologist, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia; marathoner
- Dong Lien, assistant strength and conditioning coach, Philadelphia Phillies
We thank them for their contributions to our communities and for sharing their stories with our student journalists.
A PREVIEW OF OUR EVENT
Fifth grader Jayvyn asks NFL player Malcolm Jenkins: “What has the pandemic taught you?”
Eighth grader Joshua asked Merck CEO Kenneth Frazier about the role business can take in addressing political issues.
Program alumna Kayla talked to us about the incredible experiences she had with Healthy NewsWorks, and how the program set her up for success this year:
SPECIAL GUESTS INCLUDE
Kenneth Frazier, J.D., is chairman and CEO of Merck. A strong advocate for social justice and economic inclusion, he has been the recipient of such awards as the Anti-Defamation League Courage Against Hate Award, the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund National Equal Justice Award, and the National Minority Quality Forum’s Lifetime Achievement Award. He has made numerous contributions to the legal, business, and humanitarian fields.
Malcolm Jenkins is an NFL safety who has played for both the New Orleans Saints and the Philadelphia Eagles. He’s won two Super Bowls — one with each team. He is the founder of the Malcolm Jenkins Foundation, which aims to effectuate positive change in the lives of youth, particularly those in underserved communities. It operates in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, and Louisiana.
Michael Osterholm, Ph.D., M.P.H, is director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. An epidemiologist, he was a member of President-elect Joe Biden’s Transition COVID-19 Advisory Board. He is the author of the 2017 best seller, Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs.
WATCH A REPLAY OF OUR EVENT!
Community Healthcare Champion
Amy Ginensky and Andrew Rogoff
Lisa Kabnick and John McFadden
Laurie Hack and Jack Hershey
Jim & Kay Gately Charitable Fund of Vanguard Charitable
The Green Street Fund
Nina M. Gussack
Moriah and David Hall
Elizabeth B. Rappaport, M.D., and Daniel Fife, M.D.
BTC Envelopes & Printing LLC,President Andrew D. Magnus
Luther T. Clark, M.D.
Crowley Family Foundation of Fidelity Charitable
The Gamble Family Foundation
Elizabeth H. Gemmill
Katherine Hatton and Richard Bilotti Fund of Princeton Area Community Foundation
Omar D. Joseph
King of Prussia Rotary Club
Betsey and Mike Useem
Drs. James Buehler and Lydia Ogden
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia—Community Partner
Chuck and Courtney Ercole
Andrea Knox and Jonathan Hodgson
Langan Engineering & Environmental Services
Jane Isaacs Lowe
National Association of Asian American Professionals Philadelphia Chapter
Robert and Karen Sharrar
Elizabeth and Tony Vale
The Willing & O’Donnell Charitable Giving Fund of the T. Rowe Price Program for Charitable Giving
Anne Jeffrey Wright